Berte-Bratt-Forum

Herzlich Willkommen auf unserer kleinen Foruminsel
Aktuelle Zeit: 18.04.2024, 07:53

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Autor Nachricht
BeitragVerfasst: 30.08.2009, 10:13 
aufmerksame Administratorin

Ich lese gerade: Weihnachtsromane
Melissa Gilbert hat eine Autobiografie veröffentlicht. "Prairie Tale: A Mamoir".
Leider ist das Buch bisher nur auf Englisch erschienen.

Bild

Zitat:
Aus der Amazon-Redaktion

Kurzbeschreibung
A fascinating and uplifting tale of the child who earned a permanent place in the hearts of millions as the star of Little House on the Prairie.

Über den Autor
Melissa Gilbert starred as Laura Ingalls on the hit television show Little House on the Prairie. Post-Little House, Gilbert appeared in numerous Lifetime movies and recently served as president of the Screen Actors Guild for two terms. She currently serves as President of the Board of Directors of the Children's Hospice and and Palliative Care Coalition, where she works directly with chronically and terminally ill children to provide them with care and comfort. She resides in Los Angeles with her husband, Bruce Boxleitner.

Leseprobe. Abdruck erfolgt mit freundlicher Genehmigung der Rechteinhaber. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
one

FAIRY DUST

My mother was nearly a month past her husband's funeral when she turned her attention back to my desire to write a memoir. It wasn't just a desire; there was an actual book deal, and she was against it. If the book were on any topic other than myself, she would've already been circulating word that "Melissa is writing the best book ever." But this was different. It was about me. Which meant it was also about her. And she was against telling that story if she wasn't the one doing the telling.

She had tried numerous times to talk me out of it, but her efforts were interrupted by the death of my stepfather, Hollywood publicist Warren Cowan. Now she was back on point.

She showed up at my house one afternoon carrying a large box packed with news clippings, ads, letters, and diaries of mine. She set it down on the kitchen table with a thud and announced with a smile as deadly as a pearl-handled Derringer that the contents would be helpful.

"For your book," she said, pronouncing the word "book" as if it were a petrie dish containing the Ebola virus that I was going to let out in the world.

I marveled at her gamesmanship -- and at her. She looked a decade younger than her age, which, if revealed, would be taken as a bigger crime than revealing Valerie Plame was a CIA agent. Her hair was blond and coiffed. It's sufficient and necessary to say she was strikingly attractive. She looked great whether going to her weekly appointment at the hair salon or to movie night at the Playboy mansion, which she and my stepfather had attended for years.

I also cringed at the layers at play here in my kitchen. I thought, thank goodness I have four sons. The mother-daughter relationship is one of mankind's great mysteries, and for womankind it can be hellaciously complicated. My mother and I are quintessential examples of the rewards and frustrations and the joys and infuriations this relationship can yield. By and large, we are close. At times, though, she could render me speechless with her craftiness. Now was one of those times.

While I sifted through the box packed with sacred bits from my life, my mother offered sly commentary and full-on reinterpretations of the contents. Ah, the contempt and fear and anger she hid behind her helpful smile.

To me, at forty-four years old, my book was a search for truth and identity. To her, it was -- if only you could have seen the look on her face, you'd fully understand -- the ultimate betrayal.

I moved on. I made tea. We talked about some of the condolences about Warren that continued to stream in. We mentioned which friends checked on her, the dinner invitations that kept her busy as ever, and of course the latest comings and goings of my husband, Bruce, and my sons. Finally, after we had caught each other up on everything, she returned to the book.

"You can write the book if you want," she said with a nonchalant shrug.

"Thank you," I replied. "I'm looking forward to it."

"I can understand why you want to write it," my mother said. "You write it and get it all out of you."

"Thank you."

"You have my blessing."

"Thank you again."

"But," she said, "the classy thing would be to burn it after you're finished."

My life was a mystery even as I lived it.

Several months earlier, I had called my mother and asked if I'd ever had a conversion ceremony to make me officially Jewish. Although I was raised Jewish, my upbringing didn't include any formal religious education or training. We celebrated Passover and other major Jewish holidays. But we also celebrated Christmas and Easter. It's why I always emphasized the "ish" in "Jewish."

As I got older, though, I grew more observant and intrigued by a more personal relationship with God. One day, as I discussed this with a friend who had converted to Judaism as an adult, she asked if I recalled my conversion ceremony.

"Huh?" I said.

My friend explained that adults wanting to switch to Judaism from another religion had to go through a conversion process. It included reading and discussion among friends; a deeper course of investigation with a rabbi; then study, immersion, and approval by a board, culminating with a public ceremony and celebration.

Even though I was just a day old when my parents adopted me, my friend explained my parents would still have needed a rabbi to perform a ceremony and a blessing to make me officially Jewish. That's when I asked my mother if she recalled doing the ceremony.

"Why do you need to know now?" she asked.

"Because if I never had a conversion ceremony, then I'm not really Jewish," I replied. "And if I'm not Jewish -- "

"But you're Jewish," she interrupted.

"Who says?" I asked.

"I do."

"Mom, believe it or not, you are not the final authority on this issue."

"I'm your mother," she said. "And I'm Jewish."

"But my birth parents -- "

"We adopted you at birth."

"Was there a conversion ceremony?" I asked.

"I don't remember," she said.

"You don't remember?"

"No."

"No?"

When it came to my childhood, my mother's memory was more reliable than the Apple-S command on my laptop, so I knew she had the information filed away somewhere. I switched tactics. I asked if she remembered what I did for my second birthday. She did, and described the party she threw me. I then asked if she remembered my first birthday party. She recounted that, too, including the flavor of the cake and the bakery where she bought it.

"Mom," I said with a dramatic pause worthy of the best courtroom lawyer, "you can remember my first and second birthday parties as if they happened an hour ago. But you can't remember whether you hired a rabbi and had a conversion ceremony for me. How is that?"

"Melissa!"

"Mom!"

"Maybe I didn't have one," she said. "I don't really know. What's the big deal?"

"It means I'm not Jewish," I said. "It means I'm not who I thought I was for all these years. It changes everything."

Okay, I exaggerated. It wouldn't change everything. When I hung up the phone, I was still going to be me: dressed in sweats, juggling car-pool duties, going to meetings, planning dinner, trying to wedge more into my day than twenty-four hours permitted. In one sense, my life would be fundamentally unchanged.

However, in another sense, my inner compass had already started to spin wildly out of control. Was there a conversion ceremony? That was a simple question. Was I who I thought I was? Not such a simple question.

Welcome to my not-so-simple life. My mother, whom I love early, has continually revised my life story within the context of a complicated family history that includes more than the usual share of divorce, stepchildren, dysfunction, and obfuscation, and I've spent most of my adult life attempting to deconstruct that history and separate fact from fiction, especially as the facts pertain to...me!

For example, my mother was at the helm of everything, including my career, my food intake, and how I dressed -- my whole life. I never questioned her or rebelled. Speaking out against the family was the ultimate form of disloyalty, and disloyalty was not tolerated. It was like the mafia. Although I never feared getting whacked, I was always just a little afraid of being sent back to wherever it was I came from.

So in an interview back when I was ten years old, I'd likely have said that everything was wonderful, everyone in my life was fantastic, was happy, and life was perfect. But most of that was untrue. Just as it wasn't true when I told a reporter in an interview three months after my mom's second husband suffered a brain hemorrhage that I had my crying moments, but I was pretty tough about that sort of thing.

The truth is that I never cried over my mom's second husband. I was never close to him. I never liked him. I didn't have any relationship with him. I was dragged to the hospital when he was sick to add...

Gedanklich am Meer Bild

BeitragVerfasst: 04.09.2009, 11:46 
treue Thomsongazelle

Ich lese gerade: Div. Bücher
Ohh, danke für den Auszug aus dem Buch, Rabea. Ich überlege schon eine Weile ob ich mir das Buch kaufen soll oder nicht. Der Auszug hat mich davon überzeugt, dass ich es definitiv kaufen werde. Die Art wie sie schreibt finde ich interessant.

BeitragVerfasst: 05.10.2009, 15:23 
treue Thomsongazelle

Ich habe das Buch inzwischen bekommen und gelesen. Die Kapitel, die sich mit der Verfilmung der Serie befassten, waren sehr interessant. Insbesondere zu erfahen, wie die Darsteller untereinander zurechtkamen (oder nicht), war spannend. Ihre Kindheit fand ich doch etwas erschreckend, ebenso die Zeit nach "Unsere kleine Farm" bis vor ein paar Jahren.

Mir fällt auf, wie stark ich die Rolle mit Melissa verglichen habe. Das Leben der Laura und das von Melissa weisst nun mal viele Differenzen auf. Ich weiss von einigen, die mit der Sprache, die Melissa in ihrem Buch braucht, nicht so zurecht gekommen sind. Mir ist es gar nicht so aufgefallen.

Im Grossen und Ganzen ein gutes Buch. Ich hätte gerne noch mehr über die Arbeit bei "Unsere kleine Farm" gelernt.

Vielleicht erfahre ich mehr in Melissa Sue Andersons Buch. Ihr Buch soll nächstes Jahr erscheinen und um "Unsere kleine Farm" gehen.

BeitragVerfasst: 02.06.2010, 11:50 
treue Thomsongazelle

Melissa Sue Anderson - The Way I see it (A look back at my life on Little House)

Bild

Als ich erfahren habe, dass Melissa Anderson ebenfalls ein Buch schreibt, habe ich mich sehr gefreut.

Inzwischen habe ich das Buch gelesen und finde es gut. Es gibt einige Unterschiede zu Melissa Gilberts Buch, aber ich finde diese Unterschiede widerspiegeln die verschiedenen Persönlichkeiten der beiden.

Ps: Das Buch ist nur in Englisch zu erhalten.

Melissa Anderson hat ihr Buch in die verschiedenen Seasons von Kleine Farm geteilt. Dabei ist sie pro Season auf einige Folgen eingegangen und hat über die Folge selbst und das Drehen geschrieben.

Sie hat auch ein wenig über ihr Verhältnis zu den andern Schauspieler und überhaupt über das Leben hinter den Kulissen geschrieben. Toll fand ich ich den freundlichen Ton, den sie verwendet.

Alles in allem ein gutes Buch, obwohl ich mir manchmal noch etwas mehr Hintergrundinformationen über das Drehen der Show gewünscht hätte.

Und nun bin ich um so mehr gespannt auf Alison Arngrims Buch.

BeitragVerfasst: 02.06.2010, 12:53 
muntere Moderatorin

Ich habe an die Serie nur sehr wenige Erinnerungen, aber an diese Schauspielerin erinnere ich mich sehr gut. Die fand ich toll mit ihren langen blonden Haaren und war traurig, als sie ihr Augenlicht verlor. (war doch so :ooh ) und hatte Angst, daß mir das auch passiert, denn meine Oma war auch gerade erblindet.

"Wenn Du ein Buch auf eine Reise mitnimmst, dann geschieht etwas Seltsames. Das Buch wird anfangen, Deine Erinnerungen zu sammeln. Du wirst es später nur aufschlagen müssen und schon wirst Du wieder dort sein, wo Du zuerst darin gelesen hast. Schon mit den ersten Worten wird alles zurückkommen - die Bilder, die Gerüche, das Eis, das Du beim Lesen gegessen hast." Mortimer Folchart

Betreff des Beitrags: xxx
BeitragVerfasst: 19.08.2014, 15:33 
gesprächiges Gnu

Laura Ingalls Wilder: Exploring Her Work & Writing Life
Missouri State University

Sep 22, 2014 to Dec 1, 2014
Cost per enrollment: Free
Zitat:
Full course description

Laura Ingalls Wilder’s novels have inspired generations of readers of all ages. Unlike most fiction for young readers published during the Great Depression, Wilder’s Little House books have never gone out of print. While they are uniquely American, they seem to cross cultural boundaries, and have been translated into dozens of languages, from German and French to Indonesian and Japanese.

Yet Wilder’s work is also at the center of controversy. Who actually wrote the Little House series? How did Wilder’s personal life influence the direction and content of her fiction? Are the books a reliable and sensitive representation of the pioneer experience in the American West?

This course is designed to explore these issues and more. It will expand your understanding of the literary themes, style, and historical underpinnings of Wilder’s Little House series. You’ll gain insight into complex issues at the heart of contemporary Wilder scholarship: the question of authorship; Wilder’s depiction of American Indians and the frontier; the ethical ambiguities underlying autobiographical fiction and memoir.

At the end of this eight-week course, you’ll emerge with a clearer understanding of Wilder’s contribution to American children’s literature.

Required Materials:

Little House In The Big Woods, Laura Ingalls Wilder, HarperCollins, 0060581808
Farmer Boy, Laura Ingalls Wilder, HarperCollins, 0064400034
Little House On The Prairie, Laura Ingalls Wilder, HarperCollins, 0064400026
On The Banks Of Plum Creek, Laura Ingalls Wilder, HarperCollins, 0064400042
Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Writer’s Life, Pamela Smith Hill, South Dakota State Historical Society Press, 097779556X

Recommended Reading:

Laura Ingalls Wilder's Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Edition, Pamela Smith Hill, South Dakota State Historical Society Press
Young Pioneers, Rose Wilder Lane, HarperCollins, 0064406989

https://www.canvas.net/courses/laura-ingalls-wilder

Betreff des Beitrags: Re: Unsere kleine Farm - Die Bücher
BeitragVerfasst: 19.08.2014, 20:46 
eifrigster Elefant

Das klingt ja nach einem spannenden Kurs - ist zu der Zeit jemand zufällig in Missouri? :grins

Arthur Schopenhauer

Liebe Grüße
Inga

BeitragVerfasst: 19.08.2014, 21:06 
gesprächiges Gnu

Das ist ein MOOC, also ein massive open online course, den schaut man sich am Rechner an, egal wo man sich befindet. Man kann ihn also auch daheim in Deutschland auf der Couch mitmachen.
Einfach kostenlos bei canvas anmelden, mehr braucht es dafür nicht.
Es gibt mittlerweile viele solcher Lernplattformen, wo verschiedene Unis ihre Vorlesungen hochladen. Das macht süchtig und ist besser als jedes Fernsehprogramm.
Hier der Überblick über aktuell beginnende andere MOOCs
http://blog.topfreeclasses.com/2014/08/ ... -list.html

BeitragVerfasst: 20.08.2014, 09:23 
muntere Moderatorin

Kann ich bestätigen, es ist beliebt sich auf der Couch weiterzubilden. Spart Reisekosten, Organisation zuhause und man selbst bestimmt mit das Lerntempo/ -zeitraum. Wenn es ein Virtueller Klassenraum live ist kann man im Chat seine Fragen stellen oder ist man mutig, sich auch über das Mikro zu Wort melden. "Wir" bieten diese Art der Weiterbildung nämlich auch an. Habe gerade freigeschaltet: Atopische Dermatitis bei Hund :dog und Katze. :katze

"Wenn Du ein Buch auf eine Reise mitnimmst, dann geschieht etwas Seltsames. Das Buch wird anfangen, Deine Erinnerungen zu sammeln. Du wirst es später nur aufschlagen müssen und schon wirst Du wieder dort sein, wo Du zuerst darin gelesen hast. Schon mit den ersten Worten wird alles zurückkommen - die Bilder, die Gerüche, das Eis, das Du beim Lesen gegessen hast." Mortimer Folchart

BeitragVerfasst: 20.08.2014, 09:46 
gesprächiges Gnu

Auf welcher Plattform lehrst Du?
Ich nutze noch Iversity und ein paar andere, die in dem Blog nicht genannt (futurelearn, open2study, ...) werden.

Zuletzt geändert von Bienchen am 20.08.2014, 09:48, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

BeitragVerfasst: 20.08.2014, 09:48 

Was hat das noch mit den Büchern über UkF zu tun?

Bitte denkt daran, dass für neue Themen auch neue Threads aufzumachen sind!

Gedanklich am Meer Bild

BeitragVerfasst: 20.08.2014, 09:49 
gesprächiges Gnu

Der MOOC geht über die Bücher und behandelt die Bücher?!

BeitragVerfasst: 20.08.2014, 09:53 

Was ist MOOC?

In diesem Thread geht es um die Inhalte der Bücher - so wie ich den Text verstanden habe, den du eingestellt hast, hast du einen Kurs vorgestellt, an dem die Bücher von UkF disktutiert werden. Was hat das noch mit der Vorstellung der Bücher zu tun?

Gedanklich am Meer Bild

BeitragVerfasst: 20.08.2014, 10:01 

Ich lese gerade: Isabel Allende "Der Wind kennt meinen Namen"
Ich habe es abgetrennt und hierhin verschoben.
Mit den Buchvorstellungen hat das nichts zu tun.

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]